Friday, April 27, 2007

Learning to THINK Republican Part I

Mitt Romney is a rising star on the Right. He's tall, handsome, a fabulously successful businessman, and very firmly encamped in the Religious Right (a Mormon, but hey, we can work with that).

Never mind that Romney was pro-choice, anti-NRA, and held a passel of liberal-sounding social views when he was governor of Massachusetts. He's changed his views since then and will likely change them again - when necessary to connect with his target voters.

Now, sure, he flip-flops more than a tuna in the bottom of a fishing boat, but so what? What's really amazing is that he doesn't think it's worth it to capture Osama bin Laden.

I will never understand these Republicans. They are so filled with hate for everyone who doesn't adhere to their God-Guns-Bibles-n'-Boardrooms way of thinking. They accuse war veterans of treason. They out secret agents. They fire top Department of Justice lawyers and replace them with novices more schooled as evangelists than in the law. They institute policies of spying on all Americans, all the time, and call you a traitor if you remind them of your constitutional rights.

All well and good. But what really puzzles me is the absolute lack of will to catch an ACTUAL terrorist who killed thousands of Americans, right here at home in America, and destroyed the very symbol of America's economic might, the World Trade Center.

I don't agree with many if not all of the current Republican beliefs. I don't want to live in a country of billionaires where poor children live in shelters and hardworking taxpayers can't afford health insurance. I don't want to live in a land where one accident that takes me away from work bankrupts my family while CEOs earn billions to destroy pension plans and workers' rights.

There is not one policy put forward by the Right which will help average Americans like me and everyone I know.

But I'm used to all of that. I just finds it VERY ODD that catching the biggest mass murderer, the worst destroyer of property, the most violent criminal in all of U.S. history, is simply not a priority.

I don't believe in the death penalty but I know George Bush and his whiny lapdog Alberto Gonzales (the "Dunno Man") really, really like it. Hell, they killed a record number of death-row inmates in Texas and half of THEM were innocent!

Why ratchet down the bloodthirstiness now, when a villain who is truly commensurate with their rage finally appears?

You'd have to work awfully hard these days to convince me that the Republican leadership has not gone insane. Still, I want to understand how they think.

But can it be done?

2 comments:

nomis said...

This can be summed up in one word: "Doublethink"

(ask George Orwell)

Anonymous said...

Follow the money to oil from oil to republicans and it easily explains why they are not so interested in Osama. Not to mention that the Bin Laden family pretty much owns (W)acko et al